Welcome To The
POINT MARION LIBRARY
The Point Marion Public Library has a long history of service, providing books and
periodicals and meeting research needs for the borough of Point Marion and Springhill Township. The library was established in October 1921, through the efforts of a women’s group known as the Criterion Club. The members of the club called upon local citizens for donations of books and cash contributions. The library was opened to the public with a collection of 1,053 books. At that time, the town council agreed to provide a space in the Municipal Building for the library.
A few years later, the Borough assumed responsibility for the library. A board of seven trustees was appointed and affiliation with the State Library Association was begun. Eventually the public library and the high school library were combined and the library relocated to the Point Marion High School. In 1967 renovations to the school building provided space for the public library to once again become a separate entity and move to it’s present location.
Today the public library is still housed in what was formerly the Point Marion School, but on the opposite corner—Ontario and Cyrus. Approximately 5800 volumes and various reference books and periodicals are available free-of-charge to all area residents. The library sponsors a variety of programs intended to stimulate pre-schoolers (Story Hour) and beginning and early readers (Reading Contests and
Programs). Research materials are available for students at the junior high and high school levels.
The library houses a collection of bound issues and microfiche of the Point Marion News, formerly the local weekly newspaper, dating from the early 1930’s, as well as memorabilia from the days when the school was home to winning athletic and educational teams.
The library is staffed by one employee and numerous volunteers. The library is open to the public and serves residents of Point Marion and Springhill Township free of charge. A board of nine members who volunteer their time and assume responsibility for managing, operations, and maintenance manages the library.
The library is funded through a combination of memorials, donations and contributions from the County Commissioners, Albert Gallatin School Board, and Borough Council and local service organizations. Prior to the Point Marion School’s sale, the Albert Gallatin School Board provided rent-free space and utilities to the library. The current owner, the Stillwagon family, have continued to provide rent-free space, but the library board is responsible for utilities and maintenance.